As an iPhone repair expert, I must stress that screen replacement on an iPhone is a complex procedure and should ideally be carried out by trained professionals. However, if you feel confident, here are the steps to replace a broken screen on an iPhone 12:
1. **Prepare Your Work Area**: Ensure your work area is clean and well-lit. You will need a set of iPhone repair tools which include pentalobe and tri-point screwdrivers, a spudger, and a suction cup. Also, purchase a new iPhone 12 screen replacement kit.
2. **Turn Off Your iPhone**: Always start by turning off your device to prevent any short circuit.
3. **Remove the Pentalobe Screws**: There are two pentalobe screws at the bottom of your iPhone next to the charging port. Use the pentalobe screwdriver to remove these screws.
4. **Separate the Screen**: Attach a suction cup to the screen. Pull up on the suction cup and insert a spudger in the gap to carefully separate the screen from the body.
5. **Disconnect the Battery**: Open the iPhone by swinging the display to the right side, like the back cover of a book. Use the spudger to disconnect the battery connector by gently prying it up from the logic board.
6. **Disconnect the Display Cables**: Use the spudger to disconnect the three flex cables connecting the display to the motherboard.
7. **Remove the Broken Screen**: Now, the broken screen should be free and can be removed.
8. **Attach the New Screen**: Connect the three flex cables of the new screen to the motherboard and then reconnect the battery.
9. **Close the iPhone**: Align the top of the screen into the frame and then gently press the rest of the display down into place.
10. **Screw in the Pentalobe Screws**: Finally, screw in the two pentalobe screws at the bottom of the phone.
Remember, DIY repairs will void any remaining warranty on your device. If you're not comfortable doing this repair yourself, consider contacting a professional repair service or Apple directly.
- Avoid using metal tools when disconnecting the battery.
- Keep track of all screws and their respective locations for easy reassembly.
- Be gentle when handling flex cables as they are fragile.
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from any possible glass shards.