Modified Vegetarian and Lactose-Free Lasagna Recipe:
- Whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups of chopped spinach or kale
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 cups of lactose-free ricotta cheese (or substitute with crumbled firm tofu)
- 1.5 cups of shredded lactose-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of grated lactose-free Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Cook whole wheat lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook until softened.
4. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach (or kale), salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
5. In a separate bowl, combine lactose-free ricotta cheese (or crumbled tofu), 1 cup of lactose-free mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of lactose-free Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
6. In a 9x13-inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce. Place a layer of cooked lasagna noodles on top, followed by a layer of the cheese mixture, and then a layer of the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of lasagna noodles.
7. Top the lasagna with the remaining marinara sauce, 1/2 cup of lactose-free mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of lactose-free Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Let the lasagna rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
9. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious, vegetarian and lactose-free lasagna with whole wheat pasta!