Type of Meal: Dinner
Main Ingredients: Chicken breast, broccoli, and garlic
Dietary Restrictions: Low-carb
Cooking Techniques: Grilling and steaming
**Recipe: Grilled Garlic Chicken with Steamed Broccoli**
**Why it fits the brief:** This dinner recipe focuses on lean protein (chicken breast) and nutrient-rich vegetables (broccoli), which are ideal for a low-carb diet. The cooking techniques involved, namely grilling and steaming, ensure that the dish is not only delicious but also healthy. These techniques do not require added fats or oils, thereby keeping the calorie content low. Additionally, grilling the chicken enhances its flavor, while steaming the broccoli helps retain its nutrients better than other cooking methods.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
1. **Marinate the Chicken**: In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl and ensure they are well-coated with the marinade. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes. If possible, marinate them in the fridge for a couple of hours for the flavors to seep in better.
2. **Prep the Broccoli**: While the chicken is marinating, prepare your steamer for the broccoli. If you don't have a steamer, you can use a large pot with a tight-fitting lid and a metal colander.
3. **Grill the Chicken**: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Grill the chicken breasts for about 6-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Make sure to turn them only once midway to retain the moisture and get nice grill marks.
4. **Steam the Broccoli**: While the chicken is grilling, place the broccoli florets in your steamer or colander above boiling water in the pot. Cover and steam for about 5-6 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp.
5. **Rest the Chicken**: Once the chicken is done, let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a moister chicken breast.
6. **Season the Broccoli**: Remove the steamed broccoli from heat, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and toss to season evenly.
7. **Serve**: Arrange a portion of steamed broccoli alongside a grilled garlic chicken breast on each plate. Drizzle any remaining marinade or accumulated juices over the chicken for added flavor. Enjoy your healthy and delicious low-carb dinner!
Remember, the best part about this recipe is that it's not only delicious and healthy, but it's also versatile. Feel free to experiment with different herbs or seasonings in the marinade to suit your palate!